Do you suffer from frequent headaches? Your Broken Arrow, OK, chiropractors, Dr. Doug Newcomb and Dr. Brent Newcomb of Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic offer treatments that can relieve your headache symptoms.
What types of headaches are most common?
A headache may sound like a minor complaint, but the throbbing pain in your head can make everything in your life more difficult. When your head hurts, it's hard to concentrate at work or school or take care of the things you need to do at home. If you suffer from headaches frequently, you're certainly not alone. In fact, 50 to 75% of adults have had headaches in the past year, according to the World Health Association.
Your pain may be caused by:
- Tension Headaches: Stress tightens the muscles in your neck, head, and shoulders, causing pain that starts in the front of your head and wraps around to the back.
- Migraines: Migraines cause severe headaches that can last for hours or days. In addition to the headache, you may also experience nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sounds.
- Cluster Headaches: Cluster headaches cause severe pain in one side of your head and may occur multiple times a day. Cluster phases can last days or weeks.
- Poor Posture: The way you sit or stand can increase muscle tension and cause headaches. Do your headaches seem to happen after you've been using your phone or another digital device for a while? Text neck, a condition that occurs when you look down at a device for extended periods of time, may be to blame.
- Subluxations: Your headache pain could be caused by a misalignment of your spine known as a subluxation. Falls, blows to your body or head, poor posture, muscle imbalances or even riding an amusement park ride could lead to subluxations.
What can I do about my headaches?
Although taking a pain reliever may seem like the obvious choice if you have a headache, pain medication only offers short-term relief. Popping a pill also doesn't address the cause of your pain, unlike chiropractic treatment. During a visit to the Broken Arrow, OK, chiropractic office, your doctor can ease your headache pain with spinal manipulation treatment. He uses quick thrusts to realign your vertebrae and reduce tension on your muscles. Spinal manipulation also improves your range of motion and reduces pressure on your nerves from misaligned vertebrae or tight muscles. Once pressure eases, pain decreases.
Massage, another therapy offered by chiropractors, relieves tightness in the head, neck, and shoulder muscles. Massage not only relieves headache pain but may also prevent future headaches.
Don't let a headache disrupt your day! Call your chiropractors in Broken Arrow, OK, Dr. Doug Newcomb and Dr. Brent Newcomb of Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic, at (918) 251-4239 to schedule your appointment.