Posts for tag: Knee Pain
How your chiropractors in Broken Arrow OK can help relieve your knee pain
If you suffer from knee pain, you already know how it can impact your life. Activities that you once enjoyed can become torture. You may have had to stop doing the activities you love. Inactivity leads to other problems, like weight gain, which can lead to more knee pain.
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could get relief from your knee pain? Did you know your chiropractor can help? Dr. R. Brent Newcomb and Dr. Doug Newcomb at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic in Broken Arrow OK offer a range of pain relief and pain management services. They are experts in the treatment of knee pain in Broken Arrow.
Knee Pain Symptoms & Treatment
- Knee pain can come on suddenly and acutely, making it difficult to stand and walk around.
- Knee pain can also grow over time, turning into a chronic condition.
- It can be caused by a sports injury or a vehicle accident
- . It can also be caused by a medical condition like arthritis.
At Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic, your doctors can relieve knee pain with several different techniques. They may suggest easy fixes like taking the weight off of your knee and resting awhile. Another solution is to reduce knee stress and add support by wearing a brace or cast.
They may also recommend:
- Thermal therapies, including placing ice packs or moist heat on your knee
- Exercise and physical therapy to enhance flexibility and strength
- Therapeutic ultrasound, using sound waves to apply energy to your joints and soft tissue; can help reduce muscle spasms, inflammation, and swelling.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, commonly known as (TENS); this is an excellent treatment to manage chronic knee pain
- Massage therapy, which can increase blood flow and promote healing of damaged tissue; massage also helps to maintain knee flexibility and prevent stiffness.
Treatment for Knee Pain Broken Arrow
You don’t have to suffer from knee pain. You can get relief from your chiropractor. To find out more about knee pain treatment, call Dr. R. Brent Newcomb and Dr. Doug M. Newcomb of Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic in Broken Arrow OK at (918) 251-4239. Call today!
Whether you hurt your knee playing sports, or your pain is a result of wear and tear associated with aging or another cause, knee pain can be very debilitating. Luckily, chiropractic can offer effective, drug-free relief. Knee pain is among the conditions that Broken Arrow, OK, chiropractors Dr. R. Brent Newcomb and Dr. Doug Newcomb regularly treat at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic.
Common causes of knee pain
Although accidents and falls are common causes of pain, knee pain doesn't always occur suddenly or dramatically. In some cases, it may be caused by training too hard or long. At first, you may notice a few twinges in your knee. If you ignore those warning signs and continue to exercise, the pain may increase until it's impossible to ignore.
Overuse injuries that typically affect the knee include iliotibial band syndrome and meniscus, ligament, and tendon injuries. Arthritis may make moving painful if you're older, but the condition doesn't just occur with age. If you've suffered a knee injury in the past, you may be more likely to develop arthritis, even if you're fairly young.
How can a visit to the Broken Arrow chiropractor help?
Your chiropractor uses a variety of treatments to help ease your pain, including:
- Manipulation and Mobilization: Your chiropractor may use manual manipulation and mobilization techniques to improve the alignment of the joint and increase mobility. In some cases, he may also recommend spinal manipulation, as some cases of knee pain can be triggered by a spinal misalignment.
- Massage: Your treatment plan may also include gentle massage, which helps reduce both swelling and inflammation.
- Braces: Supporting your knee with a brace or tape helps keep it properly aligned, which can decrease healing time.
In addition to these treatments, your chiropractor may suggest a few knee exercises to strengthen the muscles that support your knees.
Ease your knee pain with a visit to the chiropractor! Call Broken Arrow, OK, chiropractors Dr. R. Brent Newcomb and Dr. Doug Newcomb at (918) 251-4239 to schedule an appointment.
Don’t let knee pain be the norm in your daily life. These simple measures could help.
Whether you overdid it at the gym the other day or you are dealing with arthritis, there are many issues that could lead to flared-up and angry knees. Besides the care our Broken Arrow, OK, chiropractors - Drs. Brent and Doug Newcomb - can offer, here are some helpful pieces of advice to follow to reduce your pain and its frequency:
Don’t Forgo Exercise
While you will want to be cautious about what activities you engage in, it’s still important that you get regular exercise and don’t just ditch physical activity once knee pain sets in. Cardio and weight training are great ways to improve flexibility and range of motion all while strengthening the muscles, tendons and ligaments in and around the knees. Consult with our Broken Arrow chiropractor about safe exercises that you can do to improve the health and strength of your knees.
Follow the RICE Method
You’ve probably heard about the RICE method before. A lot of people follow it for treating their musculoskeletal discomfort from the comfort of their own home. RICE stands for rest, ice, compression and elevation. Elevating the leg above your heart can reduce swelling. Icing can help alleviate pain and also take away some of the swelling and inflammation in your knees. Wearing compression bandages can also help provide stability and support for your knees when moving around.
Maintain a Healthy Weight
If you are overweight or obese, carrying around that extra weight can really put a lot of undue pressure on your knees. While losing weight is a gradual process, it can certainly provide a host of wonderful long-term benefits for your health and for your skeletal system. If you aren’t sure how to begin a weight loss regimen, we would be happy to sit down with you and help you map out a plan.
Acupuncture Could Help
Sometimes alternative treatments offer better results for some patients than traditional methods. If at-home care isn’t relieving your knee pain, then acupuncture might just do the trick. By placing thin needles into certain areas of the knee, it can help loosen up tight, achy muscles and also reduce swelling and discomfort.
Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic in Broken Arrow, OK, is ready to help you tackle your knee pain, no matter what the cause. Call us today to learn more about the services we offer and how we can help you better manage your symptoms.
Statistics from the CDC and National Center for Health Statistics estimate that close to 20 percent of American patients who report pain struggle with pain in their knees. It's not an issue that's easy to ignore because you use your knees for bending, lifting, running and other important physical activities. Find out what could be causing your knee pain and how you can ease that discomfort with the help of a doctor at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic in Broken Arrow, OK.
Knee Pain Symptoms
The most obvious indication that you have a problem with your knee is chronic pain that makes it difficult to walk, run and exercise, but there are other symptoms that you may experience along with general discomfort:
- Swelling around the knee.
- Stiffness or cramping.
- Strange popping sounds when you bend and stand up.
- Walking with a bend in the knees all of the time because it’s too uncomfortable to stand up straight.
What Causes Knee Pain?
Knee pain is often caused by injury or repetitive actions, which is why athletes are often patients at our Broken Arrow office. The knees are a crucial part of any athletic endeavor, whether it’s jumping to shoot a basketball or kicking a football through a goal. Here are a few common conditions that can cause knee pain:
- Bursitis of the knee (inflammation).
- Fractures in the kneecap.
- Torn meniscus (the cartilage in and near the knee).
- Dislocation (the kneecap moves out of place).
- ACL sprains (ligament injuries).
Knee Pain Solutions
If you have problems with your knee, diagnosis and a solution is available at the chiropractor’s office. The course of treatment will depend on the cause of the pain and severity. Suggested treatments may include chiropractic therapy, medications, and exercise.
Help with Knee Pain
You don’t have to go through life struggling with knee pain. Seek treatment from Drs. R. Brent and Doug Newcomb at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic in Broken Arrow, OK to get relief and to prevent the problem from progressing. Call the office at (918) 251-4239 today to schedule an appointment.