Learn more about our chiropractic approach to addressing your headache symptoms here in Broken Arrow, OK.
Are you dealing with frequent, debilitating headaches that make it difficult to focus on work or, well, just about anything? Tired of having to rely on pain meds that only dull the pain but don’t actually treat the underlying issue? You may be surprised to know that tension in your neck could be causing your headaches and that our Broken Arrow, OK, chiropractors Drs. Doug & Brent Newcomb can provide an effective approach to treating and managing tension headaches.
Are my headaches caused by tension?
Many things can bring on a headache, including skipping meals, your environment, stress, or certain foods; however, about 95 percent of headaches are primary headaches often caused by tension.
We lead very sedentary lives these days. If you are someone who spends most of the day in the same position, particularly at your desk, then chances are good that you do have tension in the neck, back and shoulders. Yes, this could very well be causing your headaches.
How can a chiropractor help me?
There are certain steps that you can take right now to prevent headaches. If you sit in a fixed position during the day, it’s always a good idea to get up and stretch every 30 minutes, particularly your head and neck. Make sure that you are staying hydrated throughout the day (as dehydration can also lead to headaches) and consider ways to make your desk and office space more ergonomic.
Of course, regular chiropractic care from our team of Broken Arrow, OK, chiropractors can also help to alleviate tension in the head, neck, and shoulders to reduce the severity and frequency of your headaches. Here are the primary ways in which we can help headache sufferers,
- We can provide regular spinal manipulation and adjustments to alleviate tension, improve spinal mobility and function, and boost blood flow. Spinal manipulation improves how the body functions as a whole without resorting to pain medications that don’t target and treat the underlying cause.
- We can provide advice and recommendations on everything from exercises, proper posture, ergonomics, and nutrition that can improve your health and reduce your risk for headaches. We can even work with you to foster a work environment that isn’t as likely to cause tension and impact spinal function.
If you are fed up with tension headaches ruining your day, our Broken Arrow, OK, chiropractors can help. To schedule a consultation with the team at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic, call (918) 251-4239 today.
Temporomandibular (TMJ) disorder affects the joints that connect your jawbone to your skull. They can cause pain in your lower jaw and face and can affect the movement of your jaw. In many cases, the discomfort caused by TMJ can be relieved with non-surgical treatments. Dr. Doug Newcomb and Dr. Brent Newcomb are chiropractors at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic, in Broken Arrow, OK where they treat TMJ.
Symptoms of TMJ Disorder
Broken Arrow residents with TMJ disorder may experience the following symptoms:
- Pain in your lower jaw
- Pain in your temporomandibular joints on one or both sides
- Tenderness or pain around your ears
- Pain or tenderness in one or both sides of your face
- Discomfort, stiffness, or clicking when you open or close your mouth
Causes of TMJ Disorder
Often, the cause of a TMJ disorder is not known, but it may arise when:
- The shock-absorbing disk that separates the bones in the temporomandibular joint slips out of place.
- The cartilage protecting the TMJ is damaged due to arthritis.
- The TMJ is damaged by trauma or injury.
TMJ Disorder Treatment
Sometimes TMJ disorder symptoms will resolve without treatment. However, if symptoms persist, you should consult a doctor, who may recommend one of the following treatment options:
- Gentle Adjustments
- Myofascial Release
If you have a tendency to grind your teeth or clench your jaw, wearing a mouthguard can be beneficial, especially while your sleep. Exercises to stretch and strengthen your jaw may help. You may also benefit from using ice or ultrasound treatment. In some cases when these solutions are ineffective, referral to a dentist, primary care physician, or even surgery may be required.
If you live in Broken Arrow, OK and you would like to find out more about treatment options for TMJ, contact Dr. Newcomb at 918-251-4239 to schedule an appointment.
A lot of people visit a chiropractor for neck or back pain. But aside from these common pains, you can also see a chiropractor for foot, head, arm, knee, and shoulder pain, among others. With this in mind, if you’re looking for a more natural way to manage your shoulder pain, chiropractic care could be a viable option for you.
Here at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic Inc. in Broken Arrow, OK, your chiropractors Dr. Brent Newcomb and Dr. Doug Newcomb can evaluate your case and recommend a treatment plan to give you relief from shoulder pain.
Shoulder Anatomy Basics
One of the most mobile joints in your entire body is the shoulder. It is surrounded by tendons, tissues, bursa, and nerves that could become irritated and result in painful movements. Because your shoulder joint contains various muscles, ligaments, and tendons that surround it, tearing or injury to all these parts could cause shoulder pain. Additionally, neck pain could sometimes radiate to the shoulder joint, causing discomfort and pain.
Chiropractic Care for Shoulder Pain
To ease this pain, people usually turn to medications to treat their symptoms. The problem is that many people can’t and shouldn’t take potent pain medications for various reasons. If you’re one of these people or are looking to manage shoulder pain with a more holistic and sustainable approach, your chiropractor in Broken Arrow, OK, might help.
Due to various components that support and surround the shoulder joint, even a slight misalignment could result in the muscles and ligaments pulling in different directions that could cause pain, spasms, and inflammation. To remedy this, your chiropractor will adjust your shoulder gently, backward and/or forward to put misaligned parts in their proper positions.
Your chiropractor may also perform adjustments on your upper back and neck to help ease your pain. Aside from chiropractic adjustments, your chiropractor will also advise you on modifying your physical activity to prevent injury and improve your shoulder’s flexibility and pain.
Also, your chiropractor can teach you about simple shoulder exercises that you can do at home to relieve and prevent pain. You should also avoid overdoing activities that contribute to your pain.
Talk to Us to Learn How We Can Help Manage Your Shoulder Pain
Schedule a consultation with your chiropractor, Dr. Brent Newcomb, or Dr. Doug Newcomb, here at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic Inc. in Broken Arrow, OK by dialing 918-251-4239.
How your chiropractors in Broken Arrow OK can help relieve your knee pain
If you suffer from knee pain, you already know how it can impact your life. Activities that you once enjoyed can become torture. You may have had to stop doing the activities you love. Inactivity leads to other problems, like weight gain, which can lead to more knee pain.
Wouldn’t it be nice if you could get relief from your knee pain? Did you know your chiropractor can help? Dr. R. Brent Newcomb and Dr. Doug Newcomb at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic in Broken Arrow OK offer a range of pain relief and pain management services. They are experts in the treatment of knee pain in Broken Arrow.
Knee Pain Symptoms & Treatment
- Knee pain can come on suddenly and acutely, making it difficult to stand and walk around.
- Knee pain can also grow over time, turning into a chronic condition.
- It can be caused by a sports injury or a vehicle accident
- . It can also be caused by a medical condition like arthritis.
At Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic, your doctors can relieve knee pain with several different techniques. They may suggest easy fixes like taking the weight off of your knee and resting awhile. Another solution is to reduce knee stress and add support by wearing a brace or cast.
They may also recommend:
- Thermal therapies, including placing ice packs or moist heat on your knee
- Exercise and physical therapy to enhance flexibility and strength
- Therapeutic ultrasound, using sound waves to apply energy to your joints and soft tissue; can help reduce muscle spasms, inflammation, and swelling.
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation, commonly known as (TENS); this is an excellent treatment to manage chronic knee pain
- Massage therapy, which can increase blood flow and promote healing of damaged tissue; massage also helps to maintain knee flexibility and prevent stiffness.
Treatment for Knee Pain Broken Arrow
You don’t have to suffer from knee pain. You can get relief from your chiropractor. To find out more about knee pain treatment, call Dr. R. Brent Newcomb and Dr. Doug M. Newcomb of Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic in Broken Arrow OK at (918) 251-4239. Call today!
For a small percentage of the American population, carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) causes significant pain and dysfunction in the affected hand and wrist. If you suspect you have CTS, your chiropractors, Drs. Doug and Brent Newcomb of Newcomb Chiropractic Center in Broken Arrow, OK, can help.
What is the carpal tunnel?
Actually, it is a passage through the eight bones of the inner aspect of the wrist. The median nerve runs through this tunnel, and it is covered by the traverse carpal tunnel ligament. Through repetitive motions, this ligament may swell and compress the nerve and its associated synovial fluid.
What are the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome?
This nerve compression results in a collection of symptoms that patients find progressively debilitating. Symptoms include:
- Pain, numbness, and tingling in the thumb, index finger, and middle finger of the affected hand (these symptoms may extend to the arm and shoulder)
- Loss of grip strength
- Atrophy of the muscles in the hand
My symptoms seem to get worse with some activities. Why is that?
Symptoms increase with activities such as sewing, keyboarding, driving, and tennis. Any activity that flexes the hand and wrist for a long time can aggravate the condition, says the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Additionally, CTS frequently co-exists with:
- Small wrist structure
- Thyroid hormone imbalances
How can my chiropractor help?
Your chiropractor can treat your carpal tunnel syndrome right at his office in Broken Arrow. Dr. Newcomb will ask you about your symptoms, medications, medical history, and other important factors. He'll examine your spine and the affected hand, wrist, and arm. He may take X-rays and other kinds of digital imaging, as well.
Often, this problem diminishes within a few months as patients see a significant reduction in symptoms by following their chiropractic treatment plans. Your treatment may include:
- Chiropractic adjustments of the cervical spine vertebrae (bones in the neck)
- Over-the-counter analgesics, such as ibuprofen
- Cortisone injections in the wrist to reduce inflammation
- Splinting to keep the wrist straight, particularly at night as you sleep
- Changing the position of your wrist and hand as you work
- Exercises which relieve the compression of the median nerve
- Rest, ice, and elevation of your hand and wrist
Regain your wrist health
Get that carpal tunnel syndrome evaluated and treated at Newcomb Chiropractic Clinic in Broken Arrow, OK. Call Dr. Doug Newcomb and Dr. Brent Newcomb at (918) 251-4239.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.